- Nurses work alongside doctors in health care.medical team with nurse holding syringe getting ready for an inj image by asiana from Fotolia.com
After a licensed practical nurse (LPN) has become comfortable in her role, she may wish to progress to the level of being a registered nurse (RN). The Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing in collaboration with the Utah Board of Nursing has posted approved LPN-to-RN programs that may either lead to an associate degree in nursing (ADN) or Bachelor of Science degree in nursing (BSN). These programs will also qualify the degreed RN to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX).
College of Eastern Utah (Price)
- The Nursing Department at the College of Eastern Utah considers those who have already received LPN credentials to have applicable skills toward becoming a registered nurse. Thus, an LPN may apply for advanced placement in the associate degree program. The program has a selective admission process that judges you on how your application looks, how you test on proficiency exams, and what your past education and work experience as an LPN includes. The nursing program coursework includes family health care, nursing management and pharmacology. After completing the program, you will be awarded an Associate of Applied Science degree in nursing and will qualify to sit for the NCLEX exam for RNs.
College of Eastern Utah
451 E. 400 North
Price, UT 84501
Dixie State College of Utah (St. George)
- According to the Dixie State's Nursing department website, "The Dixie State College Nursing Program is undergoing a revision of its curriculum. Students will be admitted into a three-semester, straight associate degree nursing program beginning January 2010. We no longer will be offering a practical nurse (PN) program. Students will have the option of taking a practical nurse transitions course in preparation for taking the PN licensing examination after completion of the first two semesters of the straight ADN program." At the time this profile was written, Dixie State's program was listed as accredited. You may wish to follow up for new updates.
Dixie State's nursing program has been allowing licensed LPNs to apply for the ADN program, although admittance is on a space available basis and applicants should consult with an advisor before formally applying. Courses in the nursing program include anatomy and physiology and pediatric and psychiatric nursing, just to name a few, preparing you for many aspects of the nursing profession. In addition to attaining your nursing degree, the program also prepares you to sit for the NCLEX exam for registered nurses.
Dixie State College of Utah
225 S. 700 East
St George, UT 84770
Provo College (Provo)
- On a case-by-case basis, Provo College accepts LPNs into the nursing program. Provo College recommends that you have current acute care experience in order to have the most success in the program. Academic classes and clinical experiences are conducted during the daytime three to four days a week. Provo College's transfer policy allows up to 65% of your previous LPN coursework to be transferred into the the RN program. Courses in Provo's RN program include focusing on care for at-risk populations, acute care nursing and therapeutic treatment modalities. After successfully completing the RN program, you will be awarded an Associate of Science degree in nursing, and you will be prepared to sit for the NCLEX. According to a September 21, 2007, press release by Provo College, "The 2007 graduating class completed the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) with a 100% first-time pass rate."
1450 West 820 North
Provo, UT 84601
Stevens-Henager College (Ogden)
- Stevens-Henager College offers an accelerated associate degree in nursing education, offering the opportunity to graduate in seven months after prerequisite courses. The degree program includes courses in pediatric, medical-surgical and critical care nursing, which the college considers to be in demand not only in the state of Utah, but nationwide. After you attain your degree, you will be eligible to sit for the RN NCLEX exam, and upon successful licensure, you will be able to practice in any of the 50 states and territories.
1890 South 1350 West
Ogden, UT 84401
Utah Career College (West Jordan)
- In addition to applying to the RN program at Utah Career College, you will have take the Accuplacer entrance assessment test designed to evaluate your readiness to succeed in the nursing program. The nursing program spans two years, and students can attend classes during the day or evening hours. To prepare students for the myriad of subjects in the healthcare profession, the program offers courses in nutrition, chemistry specifically for health professionals, pathophysiology and obstetrics/maternal, just to name a few. After graduating from the RN program, you will be awarded an Associate of Applied Science degree in nursing. The program will also prepare you to sit for the NCLEX exam for RNs, and the Career Services department claims that it has a 100% new job placement rate for students students who pass the NCLEX .
Utah Career College
1902 West 7800 South
West Jordan, UT 84088
Weber State University (Ogden)
- Weber State University's RN program has selective admission. By allowing a limited number of students, the program administrators feel they will be able to provide you with a quality clinical experience and skill set. Specifically, the program has an Admissions and Advancement Committee that uses a point system to select candidates. Courses in the RN program include psych/mental health nursing, care of adults and children and treatment modalities. After you have earned 86 credits, you will be awarded an Associate of Science degree in nursing. Alternatively, the RN programs offers an Associate of Applied Science, which only requires 68 credits, excluding courses such as computer information literacy, humanities and social science. After completing the RN program, you will be eligible to sit for the NCLEX exam.
Weber State University
School of Nursing
3903 University Circle
Ogden UT, 84408-3903